Wednesday, August 4, 2010

We have Decided…

…to educate our children at home.  I suppose the matter was never really in question.  My husband was home schooled and just naturally expected that I would want to home school our children.  The first time he brought it up (before we were married)…. Big Fight!  I thought he was crazy.  I thought homeschooled children really just amounted to truant children.  I mean, all normal children go to school, right?

Well, the Lord has changed my heart.  He has convicted me that some of my previous ideas about traditional education are just flat-out wrong.  After all, my husband was homeschooled and he is a smart guy.  I was one of the “smart kids” in public school, but I still struggle with basic multiplication.  I am intrigued by the possibility that there is something better out there for our children!

I went to my first Home School Curriculum Fair when I was pregnant with our first baby.  I just wanted to look around, see what’s out there, get a feel for this whole “home education thing.”  So I went and I saw.  And I left feeling so overwhelmed that I wanted to throw up.

If I was ever going to pick a curriculum from all the wonderful material that is available out there, I would have to develop criteria to help narrow down my options.  I’ve had 5 years now to think about my personal philosophies of education and the fact is, my philosophies aren’t conducive to a traditional classroom environment where one teacher is monitoring 30 students.  This is what I believe about education:

-The Bible is a gift from God for our instruction.

-Nature is the other book God has given us.  There’s a lot we can learn about Him in nature.

-Children should be free to run like little lambs and explore the great outdoors while they are still young, not stuck in a classroom somewhere longingly gazing out the window and waiting for recess time.

-Our world is an amazing place!  Every skill that is traditionally taught in a classroom setting can be taught in nature. 

-God has done a great job creating our world!  Give children access to good-quality non-fiction and they will be enthralled far more than if you hand them a silly storybook that will amuse them for a few minutes, but not expand their minds.  (“Amuse” is Latin after all, for “to not think.")

 

So, I invite you to make yourself a cup of herbal tea and join us through this blog on our adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment